Thursday, May 1, 2008

Life Through Songs

Time to Pretend
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XVnRzEjpUmE
Handlebars
http://youtube.com/watch?v=waRtcBy_GMI

During my weekly work schedule I spend a lot of time listening to music. On one rather adventurous afternoon I decided to listen and analyze two relatively new songs that I heard on the radio and was for some reason attracted to. The first song I analyzed was “Time to Pretend” by MGMT. This song promotes the live hard, die young mentality. This was pretty much what I believed until college. Everyday I would wake up and think, does life get better? If everyone says that high school was the best time of their life why would I want to live past it? There are so many movies and TV shows that take place in high school, why do adults want to live in the past? Is growing up really that bad? Basically I just didn’t want to grow up and figured that I might as well exploit what I have now because from what I have heard and seen, life does not get better, just more complicated. I really didn’t care if I made it to age 30 because I felt there really was no reason to live. Its’ not that I was down on life, it was just that I have had to experience a lot of things that most people don’t by 18 and basically I was done playing the game.

The second song I listened to show cases my new mentality that I adopted once I started college. This song begins talking about things that you are able to do as a child and are proud of. The song then continues talking about more advanced things that you can do through higher education (high school) and just living life. I feel that the song begins to amp up when the things you can do become more advanced (going to college, having interest in a field). Basically this song makes you feel like you can do anything you want as long as you apply yourself. Life does not end with high school or college; these are just the beginning of your potential and whatever you apply yourself to you can do.

I love listening to these songs right after each other because it reminds me of past problems and how I have matured. Without finding something that I am actually interested (architecture), I don’t really know where I would be today. Pairing these two songs together make me understand phases in my life and how everything builds off each other towards some type of plan. You can look at bad moments in your life and get stuck in them, or you can learn from them and move forward. These songs remind me of how I have matured and that you can get through anything as long as you keep looking forward.

No comments: